From humble beginnings in 1857 St Joseph’s provision of education continues to be steeped in the Catholic values and traditions of its Brigidine heritage. The school motto, ‘Strength and Kindliness’ is the basis of teaching and learning at St Joseph’s.
The original St Joseph’s School was a wooden structure built in 1857, and up to the year 1886 it was staffed by lay teachers until negotiations with the Superioress of the Brigidine Convent at Abbeylei, Ireland secured four Brigidine Sisters to come to Australia and settle in the town of Beechworth.
The Brigidine Sisters arrived from Ireland in December, 1886 and took over permanent charge of St Joseph's Primary School on the 17th January 1887.
Today, St Joseph’s is a thriving school community with modern facilities, committed to providing a quality, affordable education for all families in the Beechworth region.